His Excellency, Hon. Martin Nyaga Wambora, E.G.H., is the first governor of Embu County since the onset of devolution in the year 2013. After having been elected the first time on a TNA ticket, he won the confidence of his people and got reelected on a Jubilee Party ticket in the 2017 general election. He is one of the few governors who managed to get reelected in the highly contested election. During his tenure, he has served on the Council of Governors as Chairman to important technical committees including Security & Foreign Affairs Committee and Trade, Industry & Investment Committee.
Wambora was the MP for Runyenjes consistency from 2003 to 2007 where during his tenure the constituency was Ranked Number One (1) in Kenya for Best Utilization of CDF Funds in 2003-2007.
Prior to becoming the Governor of Embu County, served as the chairman of the Board of Kenya Airports Authority and led to its winning of the two most prestigious international airport industry awards in 2011.
He holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of Hartford (USA), Postgraduate Diploma in Public Management and Rural Development from the University of Connecticut (USA) and Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Makerere University.
Wambora served as a District Officer between 1976-1984 under the former Ministry of State for Provincial Administration and Internal Security, then as a Management Analyst (Consultant), Directorate of Personnel Management – Office of the President, Deputy Director of Budget, Ministry of Finance and Deputy Permanent Secretary.
Profile Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Political Science (Makerere University, Uganda)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Management /Rural Development (The University of Connecticut, U.S.A)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) (University of Hartford, U.S.A)
Grassroot (Mashinani) Experience
- District Officer (D.O) Mombasa, Mpeketoni, Lamu and Laikipia.
- District Commissioner(D.C) in Laikipia and Baringo
- Deputy PC – Rift Valley Province
- Management Analyst (Consultant), Directorate of Personnel Management – Office of the President
- Deputy Director of Budget, Ministry of Finance
- Deputy Permanent Secretary, Office of the President
- Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Commerce (Trade) and Industry
- Member of Parliament (MP) for Runyenjes Constituency
- Chairman Kenya Airports Authority
a. Highlight of some Achievements as Chairman, Kenya Airports Authority
The following three International Awards were realized during my Chairmanship in 2011:
- The World Routes Airports Marketing Awards- In the category of the African region. Jomo Kenyatta International Airports (JKIA) attracted the biggest number of airlines in Africa.
- Award for Best Airport in Africa.
- The Best Cargo Airport in Emerging Markets which include Africa, Middle East, India, Russia and Baltic States.
b. In addition to the above success cases, Kenya Airport Authority developed under my Chairmanship a 20 – Years Master Plan whose key highlights are as follows:
- Terminal Units 4 and Multi-Storey Car Park at JKIA which are at an advanced state of construction.
- Expansion of Kisumu International Airport – Phase One Complete.
- Remote stands for parking aircrafts at JKIA – Ongoing.
- New Terminal building in Malindi and Manda Island in Lamu – Completed.
- New Runways Isiolo, Embu and Nyeri – Completed.
- Rehabilitation of Kakamega, Ukunda and Lodwar Airstrip – Completed
- Planned Greenfield Terminal and 2nd Runway at JKIA.
c. Major Achievements as MP, Runyenjes Constituency
- Ranked Number One (1) in Kenya for Best Utilization of CDF Funds in 2003-2007.
d. Overseas Participation and Contribution
- Member of the Kenya Delegation on the 23rd Session of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (F.A.O) Conference in Rome, Italy:
- Member of the Kenyan Trade Delegation to Pakistan
- Head of the Kenyan Team to Netherlands, whose purpose was to source a radar system for Kenya Navy
- Member of the Kenya Delegation, Inter-governmental committee of experts on industrialization in Africa Gaborone, Botswana.
- Member of the Kenya Trade Mission to Uganda and Tanzania
- Member of the Kenya Delegation on a study tour on micro-finance Systems in Mauritius, Egypt and South Africa
- Member of the Kenya Delegation to the meeting of the E.A.C Development partners, Conferences in Dar-es-Salam, Tanzania.
- Study Tour of United Kingdom as a member of Parliamentary Committee in Finance, Trade, Tourism and planning during which I studied monitory and financial policies of UK
- A member of Kenyan Delegation in W.T.O – Sixth Ministerial Conference in Hong Kong.
- A member of Kenya Delegation in COMESA Ministerial Conference in Lusaka, Zambia.
- Study of Uganda as a member of Parliamentary Committee on Finance, Trade Tourism and planning, during which we discussed East African Parliamentary Collaboration with our Ugandan and Tanzania Colleagues
- Member of the Kenyan Delegation in the W.T.O sixth Ministerial Conference in Hong Kong
- Study tour of China, Singapore, Thailand and United Arabs Emirates as a Member of Parliamentary Committee of Finance, Trade, Tourism and planning during which we studied the best ports in the world with a view of making recommendations for establishment of free port in Mombasa and Lamu.
- Study tour of U.S.A as a member of Parliament Committee on Finance, Trade, Tourism and Planning during which we studied surplus budget of state of Georgia, budget deficit in State of California, Anti-Money laundering and enforcement in state of Texas and IMF issues related to Kenya in Washington D.C
- Study tour to Germany and United Kingdom as a member of Parliamentary committee on standing orders during which we studied those countries’ parliamentary standing orders
- Leader of the Kenyan Delegation to W.T.O Conference in Geneva, Switzerland
- Study tour to Canada as a Member of Parliament Committee on standing order during which we studied the standing order of the Canadian House of Commons in Ottawa, Canada.
- A member of Kenyan Delegation in Regional Eastern and Southern African (ESA) Parliamentary workshop on the Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Bench Marking Tour of the top International Airports in South Korea and Malaysia.
- Bench Marking Tour of Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.